Lottie JSON format specifications for custom plugin

Hello all,

I am trying to find the specifications of the Lottie format, like what in the json structure represents what property. Especially since most are abbreviated.

My main purpose is to convert a dynamic animation from a 3D simulation created in Sidefx Houdini into a lottie animation (I will take the point data and create the 2D polygons that change over time and their colour myself).

I’ve been trying to play with the Lottie editor, to see what key stands for what property. But this “reverse engineering” is more hassle than it’s worth.

My google-fu is failing me and I’ve only ended up finding links to other plugins instead of the format specification. The only option I can think of right now is to study already existing plugins, but that does not give me a full idea about all that this format is capable of handling. Any help is appreciated.

I was able to find this python-lottie repo which does an amazing job of explaining the JSON specification.
python-hottie gitlab

This pretty much takes care of what I need, more so because it is a directly usable python library.

1 Like