Please guys fix the editor! It really sucks!

Hello everyone,

I am a big fan of LottieFiles. I use your animations as many times as I can with Webflow and in all my project designs.

It has been quite difficult during the last period to use the LottieEditor at all.

One big problem are its performance, I’m trying to change the layer colors of a 2mb Lottie animation and the webpage keeps crashing both on Chrome and on Safari.
Even when I try to make small changes with multiple reuploads of the same file I notice that the changes I make are not saved at all even when they are shown correctly in the editor.

In the end I have to use a JSON node editor but it’s a very tedious process and also quite difficult and time processing.

Please guys fix the editor and make it more performant, you guys rock.

Thanks,

Michele

Yeah man the editor sucks ! I’ve purchased few lottie animations from LottieFiles for my Webflow project, I wanted to change the color of a few components in the animation to suite my website’s branding. Now the editor keeps crashing both on Chrome and Safari, and it’s IMPOSSIBLE to edit these animations now ! What a waste of my money :frowning:

Hi zhkbryuywqpmsexxil, some animations may not be supported on the editor and we are working on improving the experience. Do let us know which specific animation you have the issue wtih.

For marketplace animations, we do provide the After Effects source file for any further modifications.

Yes, please! Such a great idea but no follow-through. Everytime I start editing the colors, it freezes halfway through if there are lots of colors. So disappointing because I can’t match the lottie to my brand unless I buy one that doesn’t have many layers so less complex.

I have the same issue with the editor. It is really really annoying that when changing multiple colours the previous colour change reverts. I’ve been stuck with this since yesterday, and my client spent money on 12 Lotties and now wants a refund since I can’t match his CI colours to certain elements.

I have tried on 2 different Macs. one Intel based iMac Pro with 32gb of memory and one M1 based Mac mini with 16gb memory. Plus tried on Safari, Firefox, and Chrome with all caches cleared and no other apps running. Same problems. I think the whole website is unstable though, since it crashes whenever I try to even look at my purchases or preview pages.

I sent a message to support, but got the usual it’s you not me BS.

Hi wwwowww.za, some animations may not be supported in Lottie Editor due to their animation design or even the file size (huge file size) and we are looking for a way to improve that experience. To avoid this problem, for Marketplace/Premium animations each file ships with its After Effects source file so that you can customize the animation according to your needs.

2 Likes

Editor doesn’t even load now

I’m a new adopter to Lottie, the possibilities are endless and it’s a new addition to my tool-set. Even upgraded to team license for the extras. However, I have to agree the lottie creator is a major problem. My first thoughts was “this must have been rushed and their ironing out performance” because I recall seeing it in “beta” just months ago. However, based on the OP, this has been kicking around for over 3 years and I’m still reading a lot of complaints about browser crashes, freezing, incomplete renders etc. All of which I am experiencing right out of the gate. Perhaps moderators and support can add some helpful info to this such as:

1. Recommended system requirements and browsers+versioning where you qualified the webapp performance as a release candidate saying “yup this is good to go”.
  2. A link to your change log showing updates, patches and fixes that have been rolled out. This will let some of us look for known issues and fixes before yelling about it. And when we can see progress, it’s easier to feel good about product usage because we know your working on it.
  3. Better documentation on tips, tricks and best practices with the editor to avoid known issues and pitfalls that will freeze the webapp or crash the browser. Keep in mind many people work in parallel on multiple projects. Having multiple stack overflow threads open in a browser tab + a localhost tab for site testing + introducing a lottie creator tab only to have it crash the browser is just rude – particularly when / if you know it’s a high likelyhood.

Thanks!