Can Lottie files be used completely offline?

I created my first Lottie file yesterday via After Effects and integrated it into my website without issues; however, when I tried to download the json file and link it via my local file structure, it just gives me a yellow exclamation mark. I also tried hosting the file on my domain and linking that way, but it still gave me the yellow exclamation mark. Is there a trick to use the actual json file or does it have to be hosted on Lottie’s website?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

3 Likes

The JSON should contain all of the data. It’s not being hosted on the website. You might need to check and make sure your container is seeing it as an Animated SVG or a Lottie Container. I know in webflow it doesn’t cause any problems.

Thanks so much for the reply! I’m not sure how to check the container. As long as I use the lottiefiles.com/private_files link from AE, it works just fine. So the site itself, offline, is registering the code without issues. It’s only when I change the source to the local version it’s not working. If it will only work via Lottie’s website that’s fine, just curious if offline is possible.

Thanks for the query, in order to host the actual file on the website, first you need to host the file on lotttie’s website, then you need to host your website with the assets link.

Hello,
i am Lottiefiles newbie. I created 2 own Lottifieles. Is there an manual how to save the Lottiefile own the own server, and they are running at my site.
It is very important for the user in europe, because the GDPR don’t love the server outside of europe.

So, i don’t wont the conection to an other server like mine.

Thanks Björn

You can export any lottie file from After Effects and download the .JSON file and hand it off however you want. You can also skip a step and export the JSON from the BodyMovin plugin.

Hello irbypace.
My Lottiefiles URL is https://www.bjoern-teichmann.de/lottie/Strandmaennchen-Animation.json.

How to import it into my Wordpress site? When i load the URL, i get only a page with numbers and letters.

I think, i need a player at my site, right?

Björn

There’s a wordpress plugin that lets you put your animations on your site:

I’d like to use Lottie files in my articulate storyline eLearnings I design. I create the Lottie files myself in AfterEffects, and I’ve successfully used them in online courses by importing a web object even though the files are local on my computer. HOWEVER, your courses have a downloadable option as well. These can’t seem to be played offline because index file makes use of online player. How can I get offline player? I’m racking my brain. eLearnings are all SCORM HTML packages and use browsers to run them even offline. I feel like this would be possible especially because the bodymoving plug in can play my json files offline. I feel like I’m so close, just missing a step…

@TeresaMRoberts did you find a solution?

Is there any way to use the player and the JSON files, not hosting in Lottie? I want to insert some animations in Articulate Rise with the player function.

I did not. I ended up moving out of that department, and my new department doesn’t download or view the lessons offline.

As long as they are connected to the internet you can use Lottie files in articulate. You could probably use storyline block in rise.